Monday, May 29, 2006

In honor of ....

Today is Memorial Day. My family never did the big go-to-the-cemetery-and-decorate-graves thing. Then again, we never had any relatives buried nearby. My mother-in-law has always made a big deal out of visiting the graves of her family. Even more so now that father-in-law has gone. And there's nothing wrong with this. By all means, remember your loved ones.

But I think many people forget that Memorial Day originated in 1868 to commemorate those who died in the Civil War. It has since become a day to honor all US service men and women, especially those who have died serving their country.

So, in light of that, I'd like to take a moment to honor some of my family's military .....

My nephew Josh and his wife Tina, both Army medics.

My brother, Steve, National Guard.

My sister, Debbie, who did a short stint in the Army.



My Dad, Charles F. Juckes,
who died last Valentine's Day,
Marines

3rd Recon Company

Circa 1954




Grandpa (Dad's Dad)

James K. Juckes

Army





This is either my Granduncle
or great Granduncle
(not sure which!!)

Thomas Juckes

Also, Dad's brother James W. Juckes, Mom's brother Paul H. Schofield, Mom's Dad Austin H. Schofield and many, many cousins, uncles and various other relatives.
To all of you, thank you for your service. I'm very proud to be descended from such as you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home