Friday, May 26, 2006

The boys done good

We've just finished another school year. And a very good one it was, too. I feel so fortunate to have bright children. If you have a middle schooler, you know that the slam of choice at this age is "retard". Ugh. I won't allow my kids to use that word. I hate it. I've pointed out to them that their intellectual abilities are nothing more than an accident of birth. Parents with high IQs have challenged children all the time. They just hit a lucky roll of the dice in the biological crap shoot. Nothing more.

Still, I'm glad they got lucky.

Lane achieved 3.75 GPA honor roll, Academic Excellence (maintaining a 95% or higher the entire term) in Computer Science and Language Arts and the President's Education Award for academic excellence (maintaining a 3.5 or higher GPA for the entire middle school career).

Levi achieved 4.0 GPA honor roll, Academic Excellence in Science, Language Arts and Social Studies, and 529 AR points.

Dang. It's nice to have such smart kids. Makes a mom feel pretty darned proud of them. And of herself. After all, those ARE my genes at work.

And then ....

Lane asked me what's for dinner? Meatloaf. Five minutes later .... Mom, what's for dinner? Honey, what did I tell you just FIVE minutes ago??

I told Levi that I had bought him two new pair of shorts and I wanted him to try them on before he took the tags off. Okay? OKAY? Levi, what did I just say to you? Ummmm. That I need to take my clean clothes off the dryer and put them away.

And Mom comes crashing back to reality. Then again ....

Steve called earlier. What are you doing? Buying Lane some shoes. At Wal Mart? No, we're at Stage. Oh, okay. See you soon. We get home. He asks what kind of shoes Lane got. Nikes. At Wal Mart? Ummmm, no honey. Where did I tell you I was buying them when you asked me? Oh, right. Stage.

Apparently the latter behaviors are Steve's genes at work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home