Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Deliveries, Detention and Violins

What a day. This has been one of those typical Mom days where it seems like all I’ve done is run back and forth. Mostly doing kid stuff. Well, virtually ALL kid stuff. But that’s what I get the big bucks for. Right? I won’t bore you with all of the details, but here are a couple of highlights.

Lane has that 14 year old, head-up-the-butt focus that is an all-too-common trait of the breed. Last week he forgot his track sweatshirt on a day of a meet. Being the good mommy that I am, I ran it to him at school. Yesterday, he forgot his camera that he wanted to take to that day’s track meet. Being the good mommy that I am, I ran it to him at school. Today, he forgot his bass guitar again that was still in my van from his concert Monday night. I say “again” as he didn’t have it for class yesterday either. Being the good (and now irritated) mommy that I am, I ran it to him at school and informed him that all future deliveries would come with a $2 surcharge. Mom’s taxi is still a free service. Mom’s delivery service is gonna cost you.

Next, I took Levi to a local music store to choose a new violin. He’s been playing cello all this school year but hasn’t really been crazy about it since mid-term. He wants to change to violin but his instructor really didn’t want him to, especially part-way through the school year. Plus, she needs cellos. Well, being the good mommy that I am, I want him to be happy. Plus, if he doesn’t like the instrument he’s playing, he won’t keep playing. I’ve talked her into giving him lessons over the summer and then we’ll talk about where to go from there. So, we got his violin today. He was so cute when we got home. He took it out of the case, marveled over the smooth, perfect finish. The cello is rented from the school so has suffered not a little abuse over the years. He tried to tune it, rosined the bow, plucked around on it. He was charmed. I hope it works for him.

Then, to top off this rather eventful day, Lane tells us he got detention this week. It wasn’t a major infraction. He was taking photos of some other kids performing antics in the lunch room and things got a little out of hand. Ugh. This means he has to miss the last track meet of the season. I know, it could be worse. The problem for me was that he knew darned good and well that the camera wasn’t allowed in the lunch room (he takes it to school to take photos at track practice/meets which IS allowed). But he’s at that age where he questions authority. And looks for loopholes. Sometimes he finds them. Sometimes he only thinks he does. This would be a case of the latter. He's now busy writing a note of apology to his track coach.

I. Will. Survive. These. Children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home