Friday, April 14, 2006

I just love a new book

I love books. I love the way they look ... the way the feel ... the weight and heft of them. Of course, I love to read them as well. But I really love a brand-new book. There's something about just starting a new one. Maybe it's the anticipation of a new story. Kind of like starting out on a trip. You have all the fun of it to look forward to. Before you've begun, there's no down side. Sometimes you start reading only to find that a book is really dull. Or just plain bad. But, before you begin, each book holds the promise of excellence. Especially if it's a known and loved author. Or, better yet, a book in a favorite series by a loved author. You can be pretty well assured that you're going to love this book. And you have the whole of it before you yet. *sigh* I love that feeling. I won't talk about that sad, kind of forlorn feeling one gets when finishing one of these books. That's another post.

I have a new book sitting in front of me now .... The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing. (Yes, I know that should be underlined, not italicized, but I don't have an underline option on my formatting bar!) The cover caught my eye. I wouldn't have picked it if it were shelved spine-out because it's only 1/2-inch thick. Sounds dumb, I know, but I usually won't pick skinny books. They end too fast. If they're on the self spine-out, I won't even pull them to look at them or read the synopsis. Luckily for me, this one was cover-out. The title and cover art caught my attention. I've read the Introduction and it's captured me. Will I like the rest? Will I possibly love it? Will I be very disappointed with it? No telling. For now, I love it. I guess that's the best part of a new book. Before beginning them, I love them all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home