Thursday, June 01, 2006

You want fries with that?

I made a startling discovery last night. Well, not so startling really. If I had thought about it for, oh ... half a second, I probably could have come to the conclusion without having done the experiment. The conclusion is that I am NOT cut out for a job in the fast food industry.

Lane is in 4-H Junior Leaders, a service organization. Jr. Leaders runs a food stand for two major events in our area - the Country Round-Up and the Bluegrass Festival. This is our first year to be involved. It's Round-Up time now so Lane and I did our first shift in the food stand last night.

For starters, it was hot. I don't really "do" hot. And the food stand isn't air conditioned.

For seconders, I somehow got stuck running the big ole fry vats cookin' up chicken strips and French fries. Standing over huge pools of boiling grease isn't foremost of my list of fun things to do. And the fry vats are right next to the burger grill which is also kicking up splatters of grease and great waves of heat.

Did I mention that the stand isn't air conditioned?

All in all, it wasn't a bad experience. I only got burned (luckily, mildly) about 18 times and only bonked my head on the overhead vent hood about 47 times. I was too busy to wonder why there is actually a hood when there's no working vent under it. I'm thinking there's some sadistic gnome watching from a hidden location keeping track of how many times the human idiots smack their heads on an overhang that is completely useless. But that's just a guess.

Plus, my favorite pants are now covered in grease spots. Why did I wear them? Well, that's a darned good question. I'd like to claim it was the head injury that led to that particular decision, but I dressed before that occurred. I really have no good excuse.

But the good news is that I get to go back and do it all over again on Friday night!! Whee!! I'm formulating a game plan, though. Last night was my first time so I waited for someone who appeared to be in charge to tell me what to do. Friday, I'll barge in like I know what I'm doing and claim an area. That cash register was looking pretty darned good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home