Monday, June 19, 2006

Interesting postion

No, you perverts. Not THAT kind of position! Sheesh.

Lane and I went to the Juneteenth Festival in Ponca City this past Saturday. I had heard of it, but never gone. We went because BIL Jeremy was playing in a reggae band performing that night. We wanted to see him and see him play.

"Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration of the ending of slavery. From its Galveston, Texas, origin in 1865, the observance of June 19 as the African American Emancipation Day commemorates African American freedom and emphasizes education and achievement."
from The Ponca City News.

This, naturally, meant that it was primarily attended by African Americans. Having lived all my life in small towns, which usually have smaller minority populations, I've never been in the position of being the minority. And Lane and I were the extreme minority here. It was a little odd at first. Not really uncomfortable. Just odd.

I think it was a good lesson for both of us in how those of minority races often feel in "our" midst. We found a table and shared it with a couple of ladies. We had a little conversation, made friends and listened to the band. It was a good evening, all around.

I did not, however, think this might be the time to mention that I have discovered that I'm coloured.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home