Friday, August 25, 2006

What's a little feces?

I was mowing this morning. Mowing is fairly monotonous work leaving the mind free to wander as it will. With little else to think about, I found myself mulling over the recent thread on Scrap Share about t-shirt slogans. http://www.scrapshare.com/vb/showthread.php?t=59821 Different ones offended different people. Some people thought the one that says "My brother did it" is awful. Personally, I find that one funny. I bought that very one for Levi for his birthday a couple of weeks ago.

Many people said they have one for their little girls that says "Princess". To me, that one is vile.

In thinking on it more, I realized that it's all about intent and perception. If Levi were truly a kid that blamed everything on his brother and tried to get out of taking responsibility for his actions, I wouldn't find that shirt funny either. But he's not. And his brother does torture him at times. So, to me, the shirt is funny.

Some of the SS ladies explained that they let their girls get the "Princess" shirts because they want to be one. I've always viewed those shirts as "Daddy's little princess, I get whatever I want because I'm precious" shirt. It never occurred to me that the girl kids wearing them might actually want to be Cinderella. Intent and perception.

All of this reminds me of the 'do you have pets' thread. Some said they wouldn't have one because they wouldn't be able to stand cleaning up poop. To me, that's a very small price to pay for all benefits of pet ownership ... the love, affection, companionship and entertainment. Hey, what's a little feces in an otherwise ordinary life?

But maybe that's just my perception.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home