Monday, August 21, 2006

Remarkably unremarkable
[Brought to you by the weekly SS blog challenge.]


= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
The challenge:
"My students were middle-class kids who were ashamed of their background. They felt like unless they grew up in poverty, they had nothing to write about...I felt sorry for these kids, that they thought their whole past was absolutely worthless because it was less than remarkable."-David Sedaris, from an interview in January Magazine


Admit it. You've said, "I have nothing to blog about. My life is boring." Haven't you. Haven't you?

Your challenge is to write about it anyway. Write about your less than remarkable life. Write about your routines, your habits, your schedule. Find the unremarkable things about your life and CELEBRATE them.

Go - be remarkable!
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

This one is pretty easy. I’m perfectly unremarkable in every way. Reminds me of the M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye Pierce was talking about his “incredibly average” classmate. That’s me … incredibly average. Average height, average weight (okay, a bit above average in that arena!), average brown hair, average looks. If it weren’t for my tendency to be a bit of a smart ass, you could meet me and not even remember I existed five minutes later.

But, is this necessarily a bad thing? Do I mind it? Not really. I’m rather glad that I’m not on the end of the spectrum of people who stand out for all of the wrong reasons. I’m also okay with not standing out at the upper end. I’m not really a lime-light kind of girl. I think the world needs a good population of those in the middle. Those of us who pay our bills, who keep our lawns tidily mowed, who volunteer at school, drive minivans, take our kids to soccer, shop at Wal Mart, donate blood, recycle and those thousands of other mundane things we do.

I’ll admit that, in my younger days, I yearned for more. To be prettier, to be more talented, to be a star. But I’ve grown up a lot since then. I’ve found my niche. And my niche is unremarkable. And that’s okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home