Saturday, August 12, 2006

Please give helpful advice or shut the $*&@ up!

I don't know what it is lately but everyone seems to want to tell me what's wrong with whatever decision I have recently made ....

Mentioned to a friend that I had gotten a new Dodge van.
Oh, no! You should have gotten a Tahoe! The mileage is about the same but they're much nicer!

We let Levi adopt a kitten from the Humane Society for his birthday.
Oh, no! You should have called us. We have a whole litter of kittens that we would have given you free!

We got the boys new school shoes at the Nike outlet in Kansas City.
Oh, no! You should have gotten them at Dick's! They have good sales this time of year!

Levi's new kitten is a male.
Oh, no! Males tend to have a lot of problems peeing all over the house when they're older.

See, none of these are exactly helpful advice. Had these gems been offered before the stated activity, they might have been useful. After the fact? What do people think I'm going to do? Take the cat back to the Humane Society? Take the shoes back 4.5 hours to KC? Have our kitten sexually altered? How is any of this helpful?

Answer? It's not. Lately it just seems like a lot of people are eager to tell me what's wrong with my decisions. And, to tell the truth, much of the post-advice is bad. I've been spending a lot of time lately smiling and nodding while refraining from saying what's on my mind. I guess I need to think of a comeback for these situations since they seem to be so common lately. Would actually saying, rather than just thinking, "Shut the $*&@ up" be too politically incorrect? I wonder. I also wonder if I care.

2 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger agent713 said...

I think the key word is *should* It's becoming one of my pet peeves. Don't tell me what I SHOULD or should not do. It's none of your $#%!@ business!!! Tell me what YOU would have done. That's fine but respect my decision or shut up.

Thanks. I needed to get that out :D

~Heidi

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger tosin said...

Unsolicited advice.
My FAVORITE.
Yeah, right!!!

:)

~toemi~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home