Thursday, July 27, 2006

Thanks, Mother Nature. I take it back.

Woke this morning to an overcast sky and NO wind whatsoever! Lane was up so I quickly woke Levi and told them both to hurry and prepare their rockets for launching. It took a little while as we ran into a construction snag - something done wrong that had to be fixed. Finally got that done and went flying to the high school soccer field - a good, wide-open place to launch. Shoot. Someone was spraying the field. All this time there are occasional sprinkles and the sky is threatening to dump on us at any moment. Just for the record, rocket engines and igniters do not mix well with water.

Went flying to the other end of town to another set of soccer fields. Held our breath with each launch. That's always a heart-stopping moment between when the boys press the launch button and the time the rocket actually lifts off. Whew! They both worked. Well, sort of. Levi's had two engines, side by side. Only one engine ignited so it went up about 200' then turned sideways and flew horizontally about 500'. Oops! Oh, well. The rules only state that they have to be launched. They don't say a word about them flying vertically!

Problem is, I think I prayed too hard for the rain to hold off. It's been cloudy all day and we've seen nary a drop since launching.

Guess I should have been more specific. Do you think I'd get struck by lighting if I prayed for the rain to start now after praying for it to stay away all morning?

I'd better not risk it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home