Monday, August 28, 2006

Contents
[Brought to you by the weekly SS blog challenge.]

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
The challenge:
1. Open your purse/wallet/briefcase/diaper bag.
2. Inventory the contents.
3. Pick one item from your inventory list and expand on it. Why do you have it? Where did it come from? What special meaning does it have? Is there a funny/interesting story attached? Choose something that will tell the reader a little about you, whether it's serious, funny or unremarkable. Or if you're writing for yourself, choose something that will remind an older you of who the younger you was.

Go - inventory your contents!
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
My purse is probably the least telling item that I own. A stranger, upon finding and shuffling through it, would get a very misleading impression of me. My purse is probably the most organized area of my life. There’s nothing in it I don’t need. Everything has a place and everything is in its place. This is SO not me in the rest of my life. Said stranger, when shuffling, might mistakenly surmise that the owner of the purse was in possession of an organized and orderly mind. *snort* That’s a good one!

What’s the most telling item in my purse? Probably all the punch cards in my wallet. You know those ones where you buy so-many and then get one free? I have seven of them, four of which are to various coffee places. Now THAT probably tells something about me.

See, I’m a bit of a coffee snob. It doesn’t necessarily have to be rare or exorbitantly expensive coffee, but it does have to be good coffee and it has to be real coffee. My coffee of choice at home is Folgers Gourmet Supreme. I usually make 2-cups in the morning. In my pot, one tablespoon of grounds makes one cup. It’s not sissy coffee.

And then there’s the creamer. Now, this is where my claim to be a coffee snob could have a breach in its hull as a true coffee purist might claim that a real cup of coffee would NOT include creamer. But you may recall I claimed to be a snob, not a purist. Creamer should be very rich and flavorful, NOT flavored. Sister-in-law (yeah, that one) was visiting recently and woke up on Sunday morning with a raging hangover from the previous evening spent with her family. And yet she could not drink coffee because she forgot her vanilla-cinnamon-caramel-make-it-not-taste-like-coffee-anymore creamer. Gag.

That said, when visiting the big city, aka: any city that has an actual coffee shop like Starbucks or Java Dave’s, I will get something frilly. Chocolate-covered cherry mocha lattes are a favorite. But I don’t really consider these “coffee” even though they have espresso in them. When I want coffee, I drink coffee. When I want dessert, I get a latte.

So, if you ever find my purse, you’ll discover very little about my true personality, other than the fact that I’m a coffee addict.

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Martha said...

Ooo...I just got some of the Folgers gourmet stuff. Love, Love Loving It!

Yep, I'm one of those "straight up" coffee people so if you stop over for a cup of coffee, I suggest you bring your own creamer! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home