Thursday, November 17, 2005

The hottest trend of 2005 .... inefficiency!!

Okay, okay. I know this really isn't anything new. But I seem to be running into it more and more every day. Lost paperwork, the left hand having no idea what the right hand is doing, failure to return phone calls. And this is just in the professional arena I'm talking about! There's a goodly number of my friends that I expect inefficiency from. It's part of their charm. But not from a business. Latest case in point - our local doctor's clinic:

8.02.05 - Office visit by Lane (regular checkup) - $116
8.02.05 - Office visit by Levi (regular checkup) - $85
10.12.05 - Office visit by me (allergies) - $70

Now, I'll admit that some of the following problems were of my own creation. BUT .....

Normally I wait until I get an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) from our insurance company showing what they paid or didn't pay. I then pay the provider whatever it is we owe. That is exactly what I did after the boys' visit. When I went in in October, I knew the insurance company would not cover it as we hadn't met our deductible. I went ahead and paid the $70 that day so that I could go ahead and file for reimbursement from our flex plan.

On 10.10.05, I received the EOB on the boys visit so paid the clinic the cumulative $201 for their bills.

On 11.01.05. I received the EOB on my visit. It showed that $70 was submitted, $6.50 was disallowed so I owed $63.50. Having forgotten that I already paid $70, I paid $63.50 that day.

A week later I realize my error. Went back into the clinic and asked for a refund. They couldn't do it yet as it wasn't showing as posted on my account yet. Now, how can they possibly hold a stinkin' credit card payment for an entire week without posting it?? Not to mention that it was posted to my credit card that very day. It was run through, just not posted to my account at the clinic.

But wait. It gets better.

I was told to call back in about a week and, once it was posted, it could be refunded.

Called back in a week. (Bear in mind that I speak to a different person EVERY time I call. And this ain't a huge place, folks.) Ask about the refund. Am told that there is a $271 credit showing on my account but that they can't refund to the credit card since it's been so long since it was charged. Huh? Not to mention that I TOLD them I only over-paid $63.50. Still. They tell me they'll have someoneorother call me back.

Two days later someoneorother calls back and cheerfully tells me that she can refund the $271 to my credit card if I give her the number. I try, briefly, to tell her that I am only due $63.50 back. She doesn't get it right off and I shut up. I figure, at this point, I am WAY better off holding that money until they get their shit together than I am letting them do so. I give her the credit card number and she assures me it will be done that day. Okie-doke. Of course, that was two days ago and I just now checked my credit card statement and it's not showing yet.

Now, in addition to all of the gross inefficiency here, the numbers aren't adding up. For one thing, if you do a service for me, charge me $271 and I pay you $271 should the balance be a credit?? Nope. My account should show a zero balance.

Now, factor in that I owed $271 but actually ended up paying $334.50 (remember that extra $63.50). So, my account really should show a $63.50 credit. What happened to that money?? and if everyfreakingthing is showing as a credit, then I really should have a credit of $334.50 as that is the total that's been paid. It makes my head ache just trying to figure out their accounting system.

Surely you can see why I decided it was more prudent for me to keep track of that $271 credit than for our esteemed clinic. *sigh* I wonder when they'll figure it out? I did just receive a second EOB from the insurance company on the boys' visit. Apparently the clinic refiled the claims. I don't know why. I got an EOB ages ago. Did they not? Or did they, in that great mental vacuum they call accounting, lose them? Who knows. I imagine I'll be getting a bill soon. Then again, maybe not.

Guess I'll just wait and see.

I know several of the docs in this clinic. I've thought about convincing them to hire me as an office manager. In addition to the salary, I would require 10% of the money I saved them by getting them organized and generally pulling their heads out of their butts. I'm guessing I could be a millionaire within two years.

*sigh* I hate shit like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home