Monday, November 07, 2005

Kids are weird.

Do you have one? If so, then you probably know that already. My 13 y/o is weird about clothes. At the start of 6th grade we went school clothes shopping. Came home with three brand-new pairs of jeans. By November, I noticed that he had eschewed this not insignificant clothing investment in favor of sweats. Fortunately, not the plain grey ones they sell for true workouts. I'm talking about the silky ones that look at least a little dressier. Still, they're sweats. Darned kid wore NOTHING but sweats everywhere that casual clothing was acceptable for two solid years. It drove me up the wall.

Flash forward to this year - the beginning of 8th grade. He had one pair of khaki cargo pants for those occasions not requiring dress clothes, but for which I was unwilling to let him wear sweats. A couple of days into the school year, he asked if I could buy him some more of them. HECK YEAH!! I went racing to our local Wal Mart (one of only two places in my tiny town to buy clothing, and the only one to buy them at a reasonable cost). I bought him a grey pair and another khaki pair. I didn't want to over-buy until I was sure he'd stick with them. He has. So, this weekend I asked if he'd like a couple more pair in different colors. Nope. He just wants khaki. He "likes the way they look".

"But people will think you're wearing the same pair every day!!"

Immediately after that came out of my mouth, I regretted it. I've always been one that thinks it doesn't matter a bit what other people think and I've always been glad he thinks the same. He still doesn't care. He just wants khaki.

Okie-doke. I suppose I'll buy him a couple more pairs so I don't have to wash quite as often.

I wonder what the next phase will be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home